Cast Iron Chicken
Author: this little italian
Recipe type: Chicken
Serves: Serves 2
This cast iron chicken is so easy to make - it's all in the marinade! Give yourself some time, let it bathe overnight to absorb all the flavor!
- 4 skinless, boneless chicken thighs
- 4 tbsp sun dried tomatoes packed in olive oil
- For the marinade:
- Olive Oil
- 2 tbsp chives
- 1 tbsp fennel
- 1 tbsp oregano
- ½ tbsp turmeric
- I like to add all the dried seasonings to a small bowl and mix. Then I season as I go! Use your palm as a measure - it doesn't have to be perfect, just delicious!
- Salt & Pepper
- Lemon zest and the juice of ½ a lemon
- Fresh parsley
- Clean the chicken. Generously drizzle olive oil over one side, salt & pepper. Add some of the seasoning mixture. Using tongs, turn the chicken over and do the same on the other side. Place in a Ziploc bag. Add the sun dried tomatoes. OMG they smell so good! Seal the bag and work the marinade into the chicken. Refrigerate for 30 minutes at least, preferably overnight.
- Place your cast iron pan on the grill. (I like to cook this outside.) Make sure it's nice and hot. Add the chicken to the pan - don't forget to add the sun dried tomatoes and rest of the marinade from the bag! Cover the grill and cook it for about 4 minutes. Turn the thighs over and cover the grill again - cook for 4-5 more minutes. Remove the cast iron from the grill. Add lemon zest to the top of the chicken, and squeeze the juice from ½ a lemon over the top. Garnish with fresh parsley.
- I served mine atop a fresh spinach salad with cucumbers, carrots, tomatoes from the vine and olives. I also roasted some carrots with sweet Vidalia onions, dill and brown sugar to serve alongside. I love the contrast of hot and cold, the fresh carrots in the salad to the warm carrots from the oven are divine!