Spinach Salad with Avocado & Jasmine Rice
Author: this little italian
Recipe type: Vegetables
The simplest foods are the tastiest, especially when they come straight from the garden.
- My husband (or my boyfriend as I like to call him, even after 42 years) enjoys gardening. When we moved to Fountain Hills, we found ourselves pretty much right in the middle of the desert with gorgeous views, but no place to grow a garden. Besides, the javelina and rabbits would be impossible to keep out. But the good news for us is the gated community garden that lives just down the hill from us. With about 200 raised beds and the equivalent in neighboring gardeners, a greenhouse, composting station and more, Mike settled right in with a raised bed for this little italian. In just a few short months he's grown all kinds of leafy greens, zucchini, tomatoes, and flowers.
- I love preparing salad with as few ingredients as possible. The greens are bright and flavorful. Just a little sea salt, freshly ground pepper, good olive oil and rich balsamic is all that's needed. Serve it with avocado on the side.
- 1 cup organic jasmine rice
- 2 cups water (you can use chicken broth, stock or bone broth, but again, I like to keep it light - the rice is delicate and delicious without it.)
- Salt, pepper, dill
- Olive Oil
- Thoroughly wash the spinach, add any other beautiful greens if you like!
- Wash the rice - rinse it, pour it through a mesh strainer, rinse again at least three times or until the water it no longer cloudy.
- Drizzle some olive oil in a small pot, warm it up and add the rice. Toast it for just a few minutes, stirring with a wooden spoon. Season it with salt, pepper and dill. Add the liquid. Cover the pot and bring it to a boil. Then lower it to medium heat, cook for 40 minutes or so until tender.