Easy Roast Chicken
Author: this little italian
Recipe type: Supper
Easy Roast Chicken Recipe Type : Supper Cuisine: American Author: this little italian Easy Roast Chicken Author: this little italian Prep time: 15 mins Cook time: 90 mins Total time: 1 hour 45 mins Serves: Serves 4 Easy Roast Chicken Recipe Type : Dinner Cuisine: American Author: this little italian Prep time: 15 mins Cook time: 90 mins Total time: 1 hour 45 mins Serves: Serves 4 Easy Roast Chicken takes only minutes to prepare. It packs great flavor and fills your kitchen with beautiful, spicy aromas.
- 1 whole, organic chicken (3-5 lbs, mine was just over 5 lbs.)
- 8 pats salted butter
- 4 carrots, washed, peeled and cut into thirds
- 4 celery stalks, washed, cut into thirds
- 3 onions peeled cut into quarters
- Honey, about ¼ cup (but who's measuring?)
- 1 large lemon cut in half
- Olive oil
- Seasonings – I like to pre-mix these and season as I go
- 1 TSP cumin
- 1 TSP oregano
- 1 TSP onion powder
- 1 TSP celery salt
- 1 TSP dill
- ½ TSP ground cloves
- ½ TSP smoked paprika
- ½ TSP ground sage
- ¼ TSP ground Coriander
- Salt & Pepper
- If you have it - dried Maitake mushroom powder. Don't mix it in with the other seasonings, hold a TSP aside.
- Prepare the chicken: Remove neck and gizzards from the cavity. Rinse and pat dry.
- Salt & pepper both sides. Drizzle some olive oil into the roasting pan, place the chicken breast-side up into the roasting pan, tuck the wings behind the back.
- With a small knife gently separate the skin from the breast meat. Tuck 6 pats of butter, 3 under the skin of each breast.
- Generously sprinkle ½ of the pre-mixed seasonings, covering the whole bird and inside the cavity.
- Add carrots, celery and two onions to the pan.
- Add the remaining 2 pats of butter inside the cavity of the bird along with the third onion, quartered.
- Drizzle everything with olive oil.
- Drizzle honey over the top of the bird, sprinkle the dried Maitake mushroom powder, cover the pan.
- Place the covered roasting pan into a 450-degree, preheated oven. (I use convection roast, bottom rack.) Roast for 45 minutes.
- Squeeze one whole lemon over the chicken, place the lemon halves in the pan, lower heat to 250-degrees, return to oven for 30 minutes.
- Check for doneness by slicing the thigh away from the bone. If juice runs clear and the meat is white (not pink) it’s done!
- Let the chicken rest for 10 minutes before carving.
Thank you Adrienne Cardy for the nice photos.