Green Chili Corn Chowder
Author: this little italian
Recipe type: Soup
Serves: 8 servings
Green Chili Corn Chowder is one of my family’s favorites. The sweetness of the corn and spiciness of chipotle peppers in adobo make a tasty broth. I like to roast a whole chicken in the oven using a rub I make with the same herbs and spices in the soup. Shred or cut the chicken to serve in or with the soup along with Mexican shredded cheese and fresh tomatoes. Crumble some blue corn tortilla chips over the top, or serve with a warm baguette! Buon cibo!
- 2 shallots, diced
- 1 large onion, diced
- 8 small red potatoes, small cubes
- 2 stalks of celery, diced
- 8 OZ diced green chili peppers (frozen foods aisle at the grocery store, reserve 1 cup)
- 1 TBS chipotle in Adobo, minced
- 2 32 OZ cartons chicken stock
- 16 OZ frozen corn (reserve 1 cup)
- ½ cup heavy cream
- 16 OZ can pinto beans, rinsed.
- Olive Oil
Seasonings - I like to pre-mix these and season as I go!
- 1 TBS oregano
- 1 TBS onion powder
- 1 TBS cumin
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- Salt & Pepper
- Use a medium to large stock pot and on medium heat add good olive oil (3-4 turns around the pot.) Add shallots, onions, red potatoes, celery and 1 cup of green chili peppers, stirring to coat veggies with the oil. Season with salt & pepper, and ½ of the pre-mixed seasonings. Cook about 10 minutes. Add the chipotle in Adobo, chicken stock and 1 cup of corn. Cover and simmer for 30 minutes. Taste the broth. Add salt if needed. Add the cream. Using an immersion blender, blend the soup to desired consistency. I like it a little chunky rather than smooth. Add the rest of the seasonings, green chilis, corn and beans. Stir and simmer for 10-15 minutes. Serve hot!
Other garnishes - Crème Fraiche and Cilantro and Roasted Onion olive oil. Serve with chicken