OMG Banana Bread
Author: This Little italian
Recipe type: Bread
Serve this little italian's OMG Banana Bread with brunch, or simply steal a few minutes late in the day to have some with your favorite cup of tea or coffee. A light filling of cream cheese is what you'll find inside. Bourbon and bananas give this bread a caramel note and rich cocoa nibs add even more yummy goodness! For added sweetness, serve with a drizzle of honey.
- 1 stick unsalted butter, softened
- ½ cup brown sugar
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 2 teaspoons bourbon extract
- 2 cups flour
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3 ripe bananas, mashed
- ½ cup cocoa nibs
- 4 oz cream cheese softened
- ¼ cup powdered sugar
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F and coat a 9x5 pan with cooking spray; set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine the butter, brown and granulated sugars and 1 teaspoon of bourbon extract. Mix well. Add eggs, mix well.
- In another bowl, sift and combine flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt. Mix well.
- In a small bowl combine the cream cheese, 1 teaspoon of bourbon extract and powdered sugar. Set aside.
- Add the flour mixture to the wet ingredients slowly. Fold in the mashed bananas; combine.
- Pour half of the batter into the prepared pan. On top, add the cream cheese mixture. Spread evenly. Sprinkle some cocoa nibs over top. Add the remaining batter and sprinkle cocoa nibs over the top.
- Bake in a preheated oven for about 50 minutes. Check for doneness by inserting a toothpick to the center of the loaf. When it comes out clean, the bread is done. You may need to let it go to 55 or 60 minutes, depending on your oven.
This is not a super sweet bread. I like the bite from the cocoa nibs, but you may substitute semi-sweet chocolate chips for melt-in-your-mouth chocolately flavor.