Roasted Chicken, Leeks & Carrots
Author: this little italian
Recipe type: Supper
this little italian's roasted chicken, leeks and carrots cooks low and slow. It's flavorful and succulent. Take some time with your family or friends while supper's in the oven. Pour some wine, relax and enjoy being together.
- 1 whole chicken, 3 pounds
- 3 carrots peeled, cut into 2" pieces
- 1 onion peeled, quartered
- 1 cup chopped leeks, rinsed well
- 1 lemon, cut in half
- 4 pats of butter
- ½ cup white wine
- Drizzle of honey
- ½ cup pineapple juice
- Olive Oil
- Salt & Pepper
Dried Herbs and Spices (I like to place all the herbs and spices in a small bowl so I can season as I go.)
- 1 tbsp sage
- 1 tbsp Fenugreek
- 1 tbsp onion powder
- 1 tbsp dill
- ½ tbsp coriander
- To a roasting pan add a "bed" of leeks and carrots
- Rinse the chicken, outside and inside the cavity
- Trim off any excess skin with kitchen scissors
- Pat the chicken dry with paper towels
- Salt and pepper inside the cavity and outside
- Place the whole chicken inside the pan, on top of the leeks and carrots. Tuck the wings up underneath the chicken.
- Drizzle olive oil over the top and rub it in a bit. Make a couple of slits to loosen the skin from the breast. Place your pats of butter up, inside.
- Sprinkle the mixture of dried herbs and spices all over the top, rubbing it in a bit. Season well! Don't neglect the legs and wings! Place the quartered onion and halved lemon inside the cavity. Drizzle honey over the top of the bird. Pour the wine into the roasting pan, cover with lid and cook in the oven at 250 degrees. Cook for 1 hour. After one hour, turn the oven up to 400, leave the lid on and cook for 30 more minutes. After 30 minutes, pour the pineapple juice over the top, and cook for 30 more minutes with the lid off. Remove from the oven and serve.