Stuffed Cabbage: Deconstructed
Author: this little italian
Recipe type: Soup
When I was a girl my mom would make stuffed cabbage. It was one of my favorite meals! She'd take her time, rolling each beautifully steamed cabbage leaf, stuffing it with a spicy combination of ground meat and rice. She'd simmer the rolls in homemade Sunday gravy. So simple, so delicious. I love to make stuffed cabbage. I also love to make this soup. It's my take on stuffed cabbage - deconstructed. I serve it with toasted pita bread drizzled with a little olive oil and seasoned with rosemary, oregano, parmesan, salt & pepper. This soup reminds me of my mom. She loved to cook for us. Whenever I make this for my family, I think of her. Whenever my husband tells me it's the best soup he's ever had, I think of my dad's reaction to my mom. #family #smellslikehome
- 2 shallots minced
- 2 cloves of garlic minced
- 1 large yellow onion, cut in half and sliced thin
- 2 carrots, cut in half moons or circles
- 2 stalks of celery, chopped
- ½ head of green cabbage
- 1 32 oz carton chicken broth (you may substitute beef or vegetable)
- 1 32 oz can diced tomatoes (puree in a blender)
- 4 cups cooked white rice. (2 cups before cooking) I like to use Jasmine in this recipe but you can substitute with whatever you like.
- 1.5 TBS onion powder
- 1.5 TBS oregano
- 1 TBS rosemary
- 1 TBS Herbs de Provence
- 2 tspn black pepper
- Olive oil
- 1 LB lean ground beef
- 1 tbsp. oregano
- 1 tbsp. herbs de Provence
- 1 tbsp. onion powder
- ½ tbsp. paprika
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. ground black pepper
- 1 medium yellow onion, minced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- ¼ cup red or white table wine
- 1 egg
- 1 tbsp. olive oil
- 3 tbsp. fresh, chopped parsley
- ½ cup breadcrumbs
- ½ cup Parmesan cheese
- Prepare the meatballs. While the meatballs are in the oven, make the soup
- To a large stock pot add olive oil (a couple spins around the pot). Add shallots, garlic, onion, carrots, celery and cabbage. Stir to coat the veggies in the oil. Season with ½ of your pre-mixed herbs and spices.
- Add the chicken stock. Add the pureed tomatoes. Stir and add the rest of you pre-mixed herbs and spices. Cover and simmer on medium for 45 minutes.
- Taste the broth. Does it need salt? Season to taste. Add the meatballs to the pot. Simmer for about 15 minutes more.
- To serve, add a scoop or two of rice to the bowl. Add the soup.
Garnish with parmesan or even a dollop of mascarpone or creme fraiche.