Author: this little italian
Recipe type: Lunch, supper or potluck
Cuisine: Tex Mex
Serves: Serves 6
Perfect for “Meatless Mondays” this veggie chili is tasty and satisfying too. Spicy veggies, mushrooms and beans topped with cool condiments: tomatoes, pickles Crème Fraiche makes it a family fave any night of the week!
- 2 small white onions, small chop
- 1 shallot, diced
- 8 oz mushrooms, sliced (I used Chanterelles, but cook with what you love!)
- 1 cup yellow corn
- 4 oz can green chiles
- 15 oz can white northern beans with liquid
- 15 oz can pinto beans with liquid
- 15 oz can red kidney beans with liquid
- 32 oz can diced tomatoes in juice
- Mexican cheese, shredded
- Cornichons, chopped (Cornichons are made with mini gherkin cucumbers, one to two inches in length and harvested before reaching full maturity for an extra-tart bite.)
- Roma tomatoes, diced
- Creme Fraiche
- Olive Oil
Seasonings - I like to pre-mix these and season and I go.
- 1 TSPN chili powder
- 1 TSPN cumin
- 1 TSPN oregano
- 1 TSPN parsley
- 1 TSPN smoked paprika
- ½ TSPN coriander
- Salt & Pepper
- This recipe is a one-pot wonder - LOL! Over medium heat, add the olive oil a few turns around a deep large pan or stock pot. Add onions, shallot and mushrooms. Season with salt & pepper. Cook until onions become translucent and mushrooms are soft, about 5 minutes.
- Add the corn, green chiles and all the beans. Season with a little more salt & pepper. Add the canned tomatoes, stir, season with pre-mixed seasonings. Bring to a simmer, cover and lower heat a bit. Cook for 60 minutes, stirring every 10 minutes or so.
- Serve hot and don't forget to garnish!
Garnish with cheese, tomatoes, Cornichon and Crème Fraiche. Serve with corn chips, or flour tortillas.